2016 NESA Scholarship Applications
The 2016 NESA scholarship cycle opens on August 1, 2016, with a deadline of October 31, 2016. Recipients will be notified by mail on July 15, 2017.
All NESA scholarship applications must be submitted online. Paper copies from previous years are out of date and will not be accepted.
These scholarships are not available to students attending any of the U.S. military academies, because at these academies expenses covered by NESA scholarships are already paid by the United States government.
You may access the NESA scholarship application here: https://nesa.academicworks.com/
The Scholarship FAQ has been compiled to answer the most common questions.
NESA offers two basic types of scholarships: academic scholarships and merit scholarships.
NESA Academic Scholarship Requirements
NESA academic scholarships are based on school and Scouting participation, academic performance, and financial need.
- Academic scholarship applicants must apply during their senior year in high school unless the Eagle Scout board of review is held after October 31, 2016. In those cases, the applicant must apply between August 1, 2017 and October 31, 2017 even if he is already attending college. Eagle Scouts may apply for an academic scholarship one time only and must apply during the time frame defined above.
- All academic scholarship applicants must have a minimum 1800 SAT (or 1290 if taken after March 2016), or 28 ACT score to apply. A "super score" may be used to meet this requirement.
- All applicants must be members of the National Eagle Scout Association to receive a scholarship. Memberships may be purchased or renewed at http://www.nesa.org/membership.html.
- Cooke scholarships ($2,500 - $48,000) - Awarded based on school and Scouting participation, academic performance, and financial need. Applicants must meet the minimum SAT or ACT score to apply.
- NESA STEM scholarship ($50,000) - Awarded to one applicant annually who has chosen to pursue a career in a STEM-related field. Applicants for the STEM scholarship who are not selected will automatically be considered for a Cooke scholarship worth $2,500 - $48,000 each.
NESA Merit Scholarship Requirements
Eagle Scouts may apply for the NESA merit scholarships beginning in their senior year of high school and may continue applying every year up till the junior year in college. Applicants may win a NESA scholarship one time only. Previous NESA scholarship winners are not eligible to apply again. Merit scholarships are awarded based on school and Scouting participation and community service.
- Hall/McElwain scholarships ($5,000) - Awarded based on school and Scouting participation and community service.
- Robert and Rebecca Palmer scholarships ($2,500) - Awarded based on school and Scouting participation and community service.
- Bailey merit scholarships ($2,000 -$4,000) - Awarded based on school and Scouting participation and community service.
- Michael S. Malone/Windrush Publishing Journalism scholarship ($2,500) - Awarded to one Scout who plans to pursue a degree in journalism.
All applicants must be members of the National Eagle Scout Association to receive a scholarship.