The National Eagle Scout Association’s Scholarship Committee, led by Rich Brenner, has been busy since the closing of the scholarship portal on January 31st.
The committee received and reviewed over 5,000 applications. Reviewing applications from all 16 National Service Territories takes a considerable commitment. Many dedicated volunteers and professionals generously give their time over several weekends to help determine the awardees.
Scholarship recipients are Eagle Scouts who have demonstrated an understanding of the fundamentals of service to community, service to Scouting and active participation in school. As part of the process, applicants are asked to explain their financial need.
For the 2022-2023 academic year, NESA will award sixty-five scholarships from the following:
Lawrence S. and Mabel Cooke Scholarship
- The scholarships were established by Lawrence S. Cooke in memory of his late wife, Mabel Cooke.
- Eagle Scout recipients must have shown academic performance, financial need, and active participation in school and Scouting activities.
- One national recipient will be selected for a $48,000 Lawrence S. and Mabel Cooke Scholarship (up to $12,000 per year for four years).
- Each of the 16 NSTs will award one $16,000 scholarship (up to $4,000 a year for four years).
National Eagle Scout Association Scholarship
- Funding for these scholarships is provided by endowments from the National Eagle Scout Association, as well as the Hansen & Mary Hall Scholarship Fund, the Lester S. McElwain Eagle Scholarship Endowment, and the Robert and Rebecca Palmer Eagle Scout Scholarship Endowment.
- Scholarships are awarded to Eagle Scouts who have shown active participation in school, Scouting activities, and community service, and who demonstrate they understand the fundamentals of service to community, service to Scouting and their character. They should also demonstrate that, if they have a financial need, what distinguishes their financial need from others.
- Each of the 16 NSTs will award one $7,500 scholarship; and
- Each of the 16 NSTs will award two $3,500 scholarships.
Winners for the 2022-2023 academic year will be notified by email of their selection this summer. In December, those interested in applying for the 2023-2024 academic year can begin online. Applicants must be active members of the National Eagle Scout Association at the time of application and for the duration of each scholarship period awarded. To learn more about NESA scholarships, their requirements, and the application process, visit the Scholarship section of nesa.org.